Local author Rosanne Hodin talking about and reading from her latest book Growing Goats and Girls. Paperback out now!
Ever dream of packing up and escaping to a simpler life on the land, just the Cornish landscape and a few cows and goats rising up to greet you each day? When Rosanne and her husband left city life for the Cornwall idyll they knew little of farming, the seasons and milking; but over time they found their way, rising to each new challenge and embracing all that the land gave them. Growing Goats and Girls lovingly and invitingly charts the rural, hardworking and joyfully haphazard lives of Rosanne and her husband as they escape London to live off the land.
In their tumbled-down farmhouse in Cornwall, they learn to rear goats, chickens, cows, bees - and two children - get to grips with unruly machinery and cantankerous farmers, and chart the changing seasons in glorious countryside over thirty years. Heart-warming and uplifting in its celebration of the simple things, this earthy portrait of life on the land taps into our collective imagination. After all, who hasn't dreamed of new beginnings, escaping into nature and living more simply.
Growing Goats and Girls reminds us to appreciate the fleeting, timeless moments of beauty, nature and the simple comforts of family life.
We are looking forward to being able to reopen for browsing on Monday 12th April.
Our hours will be:
Saturday 10.00- 13.30
We will of course be adhering to strict practices to ensure all our customers can browse safety.
- Face coverings are still mandatory, all customers must wear a face covering unless exempt
- Customers will be invited to sanitise their hands when arriving and leaving the shop
- Preferably contactless payments
- Maximum of 4 customers at a time
- Till screens and social distancing will remain in place and we will be regularly wiping down all touch points
Preorders can be collected at the door if preferred, and we will still be posting out UK wide to ensure we can fulfil all our customers bookish needs!
We have stocked our shelves with plenty of new releases and will have many in-shop special offers from Monday!
Thank you to all our customers for the continued support throughout the last couple of months, we cannot wait to welcome you back into the shop again
Due to the latest government guidelines unfortunately the shop will be closed for browsing from Thursday 5th until at least December 2nd.
The good news is that we will be open for collections and our virtual bookshop remains very much open too!
- We will be open most days for collections- please email ahead if you’re wanting to drop by at a particular time. Please email, Facebook, phone or use the online contact form to place an order. We also have an option for collection on our website at the checkout. If readily available, we would expect most orders in the next working day.
- We are happy to offer postal orders (UK wide). We now have a flat rate charge of £2.99 for the majority of orders (same applies on our website).
- We are also willing to deliver within a 5-mile radius of the shop. There isn’t an option for this on our website so please phone/email us for this service.
- We now have over 300 products on our website! Plenty of gift ideas in our ‘Christmas’ section too. It was our previous lockdown project so please help support us on there!
- Don’t forget we also offer a monthly paperback subscription service if you’re thinking ahead to Christmas gifts or looking for something to keep you busy during lockdown. We can post UK wife and they are gift wrapped. Find more info on our website or email us.
Thank you all for your continued support during this difficult time, we are fortunate to have such great customers.
We are delighted to announce that we are going to be re-opening the shop on Tuesday 23rd June. (please read on)
We will be open Tuesday – Thursday 0900 – 1330 for collecting at the shop or for calling it to request a book, and at all time for orders via website, e-mail, social media or phone.
Card Payments ONLY.💳
Our space is quite limited which does pose some challenges for social distancing, but we are confident that we can implement all the guidelines to ensure safe shopping for customers and staff.
We have decided to take small steps towards fully reopening...
From 23rd June until 2nd July we will be operating a click and collect scheme. This means no physical browsing in the shop but what we can offer is:
- Contact us by phone, e mail or via social media to order a book, pay by card over the phone. Your book can then be collected from the shop, delivered free in the local area or posted out to you at a small charge.
- Choose a book on the website and pay - call in to collect or we can deliver locally (free)
- Call in to the shop if you have a specific title in mind, we can handover a book to you and you can make payment there (by card only). It would be helpful if you get in touch first or check our Near St to see if its in stock.
- Cards, Book Vouchers and Maps will also be available to purchase.
- A 10% discount off all books ordered and paid for between 23rd June and 30th June (including email, phone, website and social media).
From 7th July our intention is to open the shop for browsing with strict hygiene and social distancing rules in place.
We will gradually increase opening hours extending from 7th July onwards.
We would like to thank all of you who have continued to support us during lockdown, buying books and following us on social media, your support is very much appreciated.
On Monday 22nd we will select one customer at random who has ordered from us during lockdown (whether you've ordered through email, website, phone or social media) to receive a £10 voucher to spend in our shop! ✨
All purchases made during lockdown will be added to your loyalty account. If you haven’t got one just e mail us with your details and we will set one up.
We are really excited to be back in the shop and look forward to seeing you very soon. 😁
Rock Pool by Heather Buttivant
As most of us are currently unable to spend time at the beach, why not pick up a copy of the wonderful Rock Pool now in paperback?! Her vivid writing transports you to the shoreline where I'm sure you would prefer to be...💭🌊
Heather kindly offered to speak a little more about her book and read an excerpt to give you a taste of what the book has to offer.
The price is £9.99, and we are currently offering a 10% discount on purchases of this book.
Unfortunately our bookshop is currently closed in line with the government restrictions.
However our 'virtual' book shop remains open! We are still able to source many books (old and new) and have them posted directly to your nominated address, for a small postage fee.